I’ve been getting really into sustainability lately and have been researching different things I can use around my home. I’ve made some small adjustments but my since I live with my mom she’s not super open to all the changes I want to make, haha! Slowly but surely I’ve been changing her mind.
My family has always recycled, my grandma had a compost, and when we moved to California, we started using reusable bags. In Minnesota plastic bags are literally everywhere and you don’t get charged for them. It was a total shocker to me when we moved here that plastic bags were a huge no-no.
Since moving to California, I’ve started using the reusable bags and taking my own water bottle wherever I go (added bonus for theme parks because you don’t have to spend ridiculous amounts on water). I’ve also been trying to using glass containers for my leftovers, refusing straws and restaurants, and packing my own silverware for lunches instead of using the plastic silverware at work.
I’ve listed below some sustainable products I’ve started using and LOVE!
- Bamboo Cotton Swabs I use cotton swabs every time I shower and sometimes when I do makeup so it can get pretty wasteful! These are perfect for sustainability because they’re eco-friendly and they’re biodegradable! They get the job done perfectly as well.
- Sustainable Lunch Bags A lot of the times for lunch I pack sandwiches or snacks and using plastic Ziploc bags is a waste! I found these ones that come in 3 different sizes and they’re all dishwasher safe! They’ve worked beautifully and the fun designs make it that much better.
- Zero Waste Makeup Remover Rounds These have been life changing! I switched completely from makeup wipes to using micellar water to remove my makeup. My face has been looking so much better and it’s more eco-friendly! These rounds are machine washable and can be used hundreds of times! The cute bag it comes in keeps them organized and it also includes a pouch to place them in when they’re ready to be washed. I’ve used these both for removing makeup and applying other things to my face such as witch hazel. It does advise to not use for removing nail polish as they do not work together.
- Metal Straws A go to item for every sustainable human! I especially use these when I take my tumbler to Jamba Juice or Starbucks so I don’t waste a plastic cup or straw!
- Reusable Produce Bags I keep these packed with my reusable bags so that they’re in the same place and always ready for the grocery store!
I have plans for more sustainable products soon! These will include: a bamboo toothbrush(using my last plastic one now!), sustainable laundry detergent and fabric softener, and silicone stretch lids. Let me know what sustainable products you use in the comments below!