When I go to a new city I like to try new food places. I know a lot of people who are totally fine hitting up the same food chains in different cities but I don’t prefer it. I like to immerse myself in a full experience of a new place and that includes food!
Los Angeles, like most major tourist cities, has a ton of places you can try. I started by using Yelp to see what places people were raving about. My mom had talked to some coworkers and received recommendations from them and our Airbnb host was absolutely amazing and gave us some amazing recommendations as well.
Keep reading to see my recommendations to a few places we visited in Los Angeles!
- By far one of the most fun restaurants I’ve ever been to! A family owned restaurant, Micelli’s sits on a corner right near Universal Studios. There is a complimentary valet available to park your car in a private lot right outside. Once you step inside you feel like you’ve been transported to a different world. The decor inside is so fun and there’s always something new to look at. All the employees are so cheerful and happy to help. The best part? The waitresses sing! That’s right, all the waiters and waitresses take turns singing and putting on a show for everyone inside. Even with all this going they are very attentive to their tables. The food is absolutely amazing and I recommend trying their house wine and after dinner drinks.
- Karl Strauss Brewing Company
- Loved this place so much I visited twice! I have zero complaints. The staff were incredibly nice and gave fast service. They have a ton of beers you can choose from and they’ll give you a list of their daily specials as well. I went with the Windansea and enjoyed it very much – especially for me not being a huge beer drinker. I’m extremely basic when it comes to eating food so you won’t find any special recommendations from me. I love macaroni and cheese and practically did cartwheels when I saw it on their menu. It’s a huge helping and there was not a single piece left – most amazing food ever! There’s also the option of indoor and outdoor seating. I never got to sit outside but I would have loved to as you get to see the hustle and bustle of City Walk and can even get live music from performers below.
- Porto’s Bakery
- I wasn’t in the immediate area for this bakery but it was totally worth the drive! This is another family owned place with an amazing background story. Walking in and staring at all the delicacies was a little overwhelming because I wanted one of everything! If I had had more time I would have loved to try so many more items but the pastry I had was amazing by itself. Another great thing? It’s dirt cheap for amazing food. Our two items were less than a small coffee at Starbucks. You can’t beat that!
- CatCafe Lounge
- So I found this place on Airbnb and I’m obsessed. This organization takes in cats and helps socialize and prepare them to be adopted. For $25 you’re able to go hang out with 30+ cats for an hour and a half and help socialize them. All are up for adoption as well! It was one of my favorite parts about my trip – tea, lounging, and cats. It was really hard walking out of there not adopting some of them. Here is there website for more info!
- BluJam Cafe
- This was my favorite spot to have breakfast and I will absolutely be returning when I’m in Los Angeles again. There are several locations but the one I went to was on Melrose Avenue. It’s a small place but I never felt crowded. Since there were a lot of people it was fairly loud but not where you had to shout across the table and the music was kept at an acceptable volume. I also really loved the interior design. I felt so calm and at peace! Our host and waiter were extremely friendly and attentive and the food was 10/10. I highly recommend trying their french toast churros.
- Priscilla’s Gourmet Coffee House
- Okay y’all know I love cute and cozy cafes. Recently I went to Burbank to visit a friend and she took me to this café called Priscilla’s that she and her boyfriend like to visit. I fell in love with the place instantly! The exterior of the building really draws you in – beautiful, simple, and classy. The vibe inside is modern, pretty, and it’s a lot larger inside than you would think! It’s a perfect place to go solo and work or to go with a few friends and have a good time lounging. When we went, I ordered myself the Oregon chai tea and chocolate chip marble streusel cake. Let me tell y’all, I LOVE chai tea lattes and I love to get them at other cafes rather than Starbucks because they taste so much better. If you don’t believe me, try it sometime! Needless to say, I left full and completely satisfied! It was so nice to sit and relax and enjoy great company in a calm and inviting atmosphere.